This is a subpost of the larger post Updated Comprehensive VPS Setup Documentation.
Once you have a VPS deployed and know its static IP, you can forward a FQDN to it by creating a new A Record. I use GoDaddy for my DNS registration because they are simple, reliable, and quick.
- In order to do this with GoDaddy, log into your account
- Next to “Domains” click on “Manage”
- Click on the domain you want to forward. If you want to forward a subdomain, click on the domain it will be a subdomain of
- Click over to the “DNS ZONE FILE” tab
- If you are trying to forward a subdomain
- Click “Add Record”
- We want to create an “A Record”
- Use the subdomain as the hostname and then the static IP of the server as the “POINTS TO”
- Save changes
- If you are trying to forward a domain
- Edit the record for the “@” host and point it to the static IP following the same directions as above.